I have the following code, where we have two lists of unique integers, nums1 and nums2; where nums1 is a subset of nums2. We want compare each element of nums1 with nums2, and append the 'output_stack' with the next biggest integer in nums2.
For example: Input: nums1 = [4,1,2], nums2 = [1,3,4,2] Output: [-1,3,-1] Explanation: For number 4 in the first array, you cannot find the next greater number for it in the second array, so output -1. For number 1 in the first array, the next greater number for it in the second array is 3. For number 2 in the first array, there is no next greater number for it in the second array, so output -1.
def nextGreaterElement(nums1, nums2):
nums1 = sorted(nums1)
nums2 = sorted(nums2)
output_stack = []
for i in range(len(nums1)):
for j in range(len(nums2)):
if nums1[i] ==nums2[-1]:
output_stack.append(-1)
elif nums1[i] == max(nums2):
output_stack.append(-1)
elif nums1[i] == nums2[j]:
output_stack.append(nums2[j+1])
else:
output_stack.append(-1)
return(print(output_stack))
nextGreaterElement([2,4],[1,2,3,4])
The code above returns the wrong output [-1,3,-1,-1] and I know why- it is because I am iterating over all of nums2 with j, but this is the only way I know how to do it. Is there a way to amend the existing code.
My trouble is that if I took away the second 'for' loop, I struggled to find a way to reference the 'next' index in nums2; is there a way to do this without using a 'for' loop?