I'm performing linear regression on this dataset: archive.ics.uci.edu/ml/datasets/online+news+popularity
It contains various types of features - rates, binary, numbers etc.
I've tried using scikit-learn Normalizer, StandardScaler and PowerTransformer, but the've all resulted in worse results than without using them.
I'm using them like this:
from sklearn.preprocessing import StandardScaler
X = df.drop(columns=['url', 'shares'])
Y = df['shares']
transformer = StandardScaler().fit(X)
X_scaled = transformer.transform(X)
X_scaled = pd.DataFrame(X_scaled, columns=X.columns)
perform_linear_and_ridge_regression(X=X_scaled, Y=Y)
The function on the last line perform_linear_and_ridge_regression() is correct for sure and is using GridSearchCV to determine the best hyperparameters.
Just to make sure I include the function as well:
def perform_linear_and_ridge_regression(X, Y):
X_train, X_test, Y_train, Y_test = train_test_split(X, Y, test_size=0.25, random_state=10)
lin_reg_parameters = { 'fit_intercept': [True, False] }
lin_reg = GridSearchCV(LinearRegression(), lin_reg_parameters, cv=5)
lin_reg.fit(X=X_train, y=Y_train)
Y_pred = lin_reg.predict(X_test)
print('Linear regression MAE =', median_absolute_error(Y_test, Y_pred))
The results are surprising as all of them provide worse results:
Linear reg. on original data: MAE = 1620.510555135375
Linear reg. after using Normalizer: MAE = 1979.8525218964242
Linear reg. after using StandardScaler: MAE = 2915.024521207241
Linear reg. after using PowerScaler: MAE = 1663.7148884463259
Is this just a special case, where Standardization doesn't help, or am I doing something wrong?
EDIT: Even when I leave the binary features out, most of the transformers gives worse results.