I'm trying to deploy a Rails 5 app to Elastic Beanstalk but I am getting the following error in my log file that appears to indicate that my home directory is not properly set.
I tried setting the HOME environment variable by setting HOME to ~/my-app-name but I have had no luck and it doesn't appear to be using the variable anyway. I set the variable under the software section in the environment configurations.
/var/log/eb-activity.log:
+ cd /var/app/ondeck
+ su -s /bin/bash -c 'bundle exec
/opt/elasticbeanstalk/support/scripts/check-for-rake-task.rb assets:precompile' webapp
`/home/webapp` is not a directory.
Bundler will use `/tmp/bundler/home/webapp' as your home directory temporarily.
+ '[' false == true ']'
+ su -s /bin/bash -c 'bundle exec rake assets:precompile' webapp
`/home/webapp` is not a directory.
Bundler will use `/tmp/bundler/home/webapp' as your home directory temporarily.
rake aborted!
Psych::SyntaxError: (<unknown>): did not find expected alphabetic or numeric
character while scanning an alias at line 83 column 22
/var/app/ondeck/config/environments/production.rb:96:in `block in <top (required)>'
/var/app/ondeck/config/environments/production.rb:1:in `<top (required)>'
/var/app/ondeck/config/environment.rb:5:in `<top (required)>'
/opt/rubies/ruby-2.5.3/bin/bundle:23:in `load'
/opt/rubies/ruby-2.5.3/bin/bundle:23:in `<main>'
Tasks: TOP => environment
(See full trace by running task with --trace) (Executor::NonZeroExitStatus)
I found a a similar issue here: issue deploying rails 5 application to AWS using Elastic Beanstalk due to rb-readline
I also asked another question yesterday about the psych error (posted link below) but I am beginning to think that this error may be caused due to the invalid reference to HOME. I'm rather lost at this point and have been working on this for several hours with absolutely no luck.
Another question I posted yesterday about the psych error: Error Deploying on Elastic Beanstalk - Rails