How to check if an object is a generator object in python?

Viewed 64884

In python, how do I check if an object is a generator object?

Trying this -

>>> type(myobject, generator)

gives the error -

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
NameError: name 'generator' is not defined

(I know I can check if the object has a next method for it to be a generator, but I want some way using which I can determine the type of any object, not just generators.)

10 Answers

You could use the Iterator or more specifically, the Generator from the typing module.

from typing import Generator, Iterator
g = (i for i in range(1_000_000))
print(type(g))
print(isinstance(g, Generator))
print(isinstance(g, Iterator))

result:

<class 'generator'>
True
True

(I know it's an old post.) There is no need to import a module, you can declare an object for comparison at the beginning of the program:

gentyp= type(1 for i in "")                                                                                          
       ...
type(myobject) == gentyp

It's a little old question, however I was looking for similar solution for myself, but for async generator class, so you may find this helpful.

Based on utdemir reply:

import types
isinstance(async_generator(), types.AsyncGeneratorType)
Related