How to restart a node.js server

Viewed 267927

I've installed and is running a node.js server on osx. I've dled a chat module and is happily running it. I've altered some pieces and need to restart the server to see the effects.

I only know how to restart by closing the terminal window and then reopneing it and then running node chatdemo.js again.

Any way to restart without closing terminal?

Thanks.

9 Answers

I understand that my comment relate with windows, but may be someone be useful. For win run in cmd:

wmic process  where "commandline like '%my_app.js%' AND name='node.exe' " CALL Terminate

then you can run your app again:

node my_app.js

Also you can use it in batch file, with escape quotes:

wmic process  where "commandline like '%%my_app.js%%' AND name='node.exe' " CALL Terminate
node my_app.js

At first open terminal/command line then go to your project directory, now install nodemon by using command npm install nodemon --save-dev this command will make sure it saved as developer dependency. If you are working with expressjs then in your package file it will look like

{
  "name": "expressjs-app",
  "version": "0.0.0",
  "private": true,
  "scripts": {
    "start": "node ./bin/www"
  },
  "dependencies": {
    "cookie-parser": "~1.4.4",
    "debug": "~2.6.9",
    "express": "~4.16.1",
    "http-errors": "~1.6.3",
    "morgan": "~1.9.1",
    "pug": "^2.0.4"
  },
  "devDependencies": {
    "nodemon": "^2.0.3"
  }
}

now modify the "start" value in your package.json file, for production we will use the exsiting value but for development will use nodemon to track the changes in source file without restarting server. There for new value for start is "start": "if [[$NODE_ENV=='production']]; then node ./bin/www; else nodemon ./bin/www; fi"

final package.json file will look like

{
  "name": "expressjs-app",
  "version": "0.0.0",
  "private": true,
  "scripts": {
    "start": "if [[$NODE_ENV=='production']]; then node ./bin/www; else nodemon ./bin/www; fi"
  },
  "dependencies": {
    "cookie-parser": "~1.4.4",
    "debug": "~2.6.9",
    "express": "~4.16.1",
    "http-errors": "~1.6.3",
    "morgan": "~1.9.1",
    "pug": "^2.0.4"
  },
  "devDependencies": {
    "nodemon": "^2.0.3"
  }
}

to uninstall nodemon jusy simply run the command npm uninstall nodemon

Related